We were looking through some of our older blog posts and came across this one about bridging the knowledge – doing gap. In our opinion it’s something you should review and address on a regular basis. So here it is again. We recommend you take a few minutes to take the test.
Bridging The Knowledge – Doing Gap:
“The truth of the matter is that pretty much all of us know the key things it takes to run a successful organisation:
- A clear vision for success
- Adding real value to the marketplace
- Surround yourself with top talent
- Create high levels of accountability
- Be fanatic about listening to and serving the customer
However, we also all know the cliché, “What is common sense is not always common practice.” The core ideas maybe awesomely simple, but executing them with discipline and consistency can be very, very hard indeed. So here is a challenge for you:
Take The Test:
Score yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 on the following critical business practices where 10=Strongly Agree, 7=Agree Somewhat, 5=Not Sure, 3=Disagree Somewhat, 1=Strongly Disagree. And remember…be brutally honest with yourself!
- We have a clear vision for the future of our organisation that is well communicated to everyone that works for/with us – employees, vendors, suppliers, and customers.
- Our organisation is filled with very talented people who were highly competent in their jobs.
- We have high levels of open, honest, robust communication throughout our entire organization.
- There’s a strong sense of urgency throughout our entire organisation to get the important things done right away.
- People in our organisation display a high level of both personal and mutual accountability.
- Our organisation is superb at executing effectively on our plans and goals.
- We do a superior job of creating strong relationships with our customers.
- We have a tight handle on our finances and understand exactly how cash moves through our business.
- We have a unique and defendable position in the marketplace because we add real and significant value to our customers.
- We have an excellent organisational culture where people truly enjoy the work they do, the people they work with, and serving our customers.
If you’re not scoring and 8, 9 or 10 on every single one of these items – then you’ve got some work to do. If you find yourself with a lot of scores of 5 or less – you got some VERY serious work to do.
Now, I know that as you look over that list you’re probably telling yourself that you know all of that is important for running a successful business – you’ve heard it 1,000 times in books, audio books seminars and meetings… but it’s one thing to know this stuff – and something completely different to go out and do it every single day in your business.”
by John Spence (USA based business author)